The Life in Your Years


"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln



Sunday, February 26, 2012

'Nawlins grub

When I told my Enterprise shuttle driver that it was my first time in 'Nawlins and my taste buds were looking forward to the local flavors, he eagerly told me I needed to get to Mother's. Through the drawl of his Southern twang, it was not clear what exactly he was suggesting for me to get down the hatch, yet it was obvious through his vocal excitement and listing of a few things that I had to make my way there.





This Ah-mazing stacking of slow cooked ham, pulled beef, shredded cabbage, creole and yellow mustard is soul-warming. The buzz of the place conveys the historic character that the restaurant has having served the local New Orleans blue and white collar workers since 1938. Not to mention comforting it's own employees and returning locals post-Katrina in two thousand five.

Somewhat cafeteria style, Ode Mae Peters (RIP) served as the head cook there for over twenty years and now has some of her kin still helping fill the bellies of hungry visitors.




After standing in a line (it took less than ten minutes) unsure of what to select from the stomach-grumbling list of Southern flare, I went with the house specialty, The Ferdi, and was damn glad I did. And, while I waited at the bar the tender told me his favorite was Mother's "black ham", which is the outer part of the meat that's been cooked crisp to flavorful perfection. Lucky for me, he wandered to the back to find me some, saying it might be gone since it usually is by mid-day - but he did! A little crunchy, yet still tender inside, black ham is the part I like most when I (over)make it home. Instantly I was in love.




In carrying on with what seems to be a local thang (cocktails in a portable plastic cup that is), I ordered up a bloody than can legally be taken away with me. It was good and there was nothing left to take
.
Thanks for the suggestion my 'Nawlins man! Mama's is the shiznit; and with only a day left here, I've made it a priority to head back for lunch again tomorrow.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment