The Life in Your Years


"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln



Monday, June 18, 2012

Besh's New Orleans hometown cooking






On my first exploration of New Orleans' famous French Quarter, I breaked for a cocktail and water at a local thirst quenching hole. There I engaged in a light conversation with a charming gay couple, one who was born and raised in the area and is now a elementary school teacher, and the other an East Coast transplant. The pair shared a cutie schnauzer mutt named Sir 'Handsome' Henry.

They recommended I try Lüke on St. Charles Avenue; admittedly it was going to be more pricey, but worth it. Located across from the Intercontinental in the business district where my conference was being held, I decided to give it a whirl.

On a Sunday evening the bar was full of people sipping cocktails and enjoying conversation over freshly cracked oysters, crab claws, crawfish and scrimps. Classic oldies of the 1950s, Aretha, Elvis and The Righteous Brothers serenaded diners in the background of clamoring dishes, silverware and laughter.

The menu features an assortment of items including a German platter with homemade sausages, pommes and homemade mustard. There's a large selection of charcuterie boards, a Lüke burger, duck confit leg with berry sauce and many cooked fish selections.

Having not yet tried étouffée, a spicy Cajun stew historically made with crawfish, veggies and a dark roux and served over rice, I decided to try Chef John Besh's version with blue crab and brown shrimp plated atop pasta. The word originates from the French étouffer, which means to smother or suffocate, so the implication is that the sauce would be thick and hearty. However, the server explained that it's not traditional.

Since I'm a non-conventional gal, no problem. With a creamy sauce of fennel and Saffron, the pasta and seafood mix was punchy and savory at the same time, combining well with the Old Time Rock and Roll to be heard. It was hard to stay seated. It was so good that even my feet and arse wanted to dance with pleasure. The guests both to my left and right asked which menu item I had selected. Two followed suit; both were as pleased as I was.

The chef, a former marine and Louisiana native, certainly has created an out-of-this-world take on a local favorite - one that would warm the hearts of our incredible soldiers standing up for our country, welcoming them home with open, nurturing arms. What pleases thy stomach, eases thy soul. And with this sauce, life is grand.
Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have the time to step into this place in my brief time here this week, but I will try. Just landed at the MSY airport and heading straight to Mother's for lunch.
See my other post on New Orleans here.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment